Wednesday 18 November 2015

The Nuts And Bolts

No I'm not building a carriage.....But the last two weeks have been real "nuts and bolts" of keeping horses.  Rain, followed by more rain (and high winds), have meant its been all work and no play. I for one, am too old now to go out for a fun ride in sideways rain, after 3 hours of poo picking, ragwort clearing and fencing!!
And that is the nuts and bolts of horse owning.....90% care, 10% fun.  Although ours live out, it doesn't mean they don't need looking after.  There is an awful lot of poo to pick up every day. 7 ponies, 10 poos a day each...yup thats 70 piles a day I reckon.  I really must get out more.
Rain aside, it has been mild, so we are taking full advantage of using the grass diet while its still growing a little.  This means moving the fences back a little each day.  Jo usually does the moving while myself and the dogs guard the gap from marauding shetlands.  They are the worst, circling us like sharks!
And with the grass growing the ragwort springs up seemingly overnight. Although the horses eat round it, it really cannot be left.....we do not want yellow fields next summer.
Charlie has been very affectionate, and I am still taking him around the farm for 10 minutes a day.  He has been very good, and we have had no more tantrums. He has also got used to me taking his rug off in field for a little airing, only to replace it 10 minutes later when the next squall heads in.
And on Monday he made my day....A super large red crop sprayer came up the track and startled him.  He made straight for me, which means he sees me as his source of protection and comfort. Smiley face.

Is this my rug mum?


No comments:

Post a Comment