Wednesday 6 July 2016

Bareback Teaching, Charlies Chute and Spies Are Us

Wow what a week...  So on Saturday, Jo and I spent a good half hour fixing up an electric fence 'chute' for Charlie, running from his field, through the 3 Acre to the round pen, so I could drive him there to continue the headcollar debate. Giving him a chance to work with me first, I strolled over......and put the rope round his neck and the headcollar on.  No Fuss. He got a feed for that.  Same again Sunday and Monday.  Monday was farrier day.  After Charlie had been done I put him in a stable, removing his headcollar in case he caught it on some random nail.  When all were done I went in to get him......Headcollar? No Way. Its like an instinct kicks in.  Luckily its not a huge stable. I wish I could get to the bottom of this instinct.  Until then I'll continue to use a rope first as it works.

Saturday I gave Chanice Who Helps On Saturdays a bareback lesson on Daisy.  I can't believe how much her position has improved since she first started with us.  I am so proud of her. Bareback riding should be practised more often. Positions improve no end without a saddle.  Its so much easier to feel the horse.

Today we have been mostly spies.....Long story short.  A local woman got done in March for cruelty and banned from keeping animals for 6 years.  Should have been life as its the third time this has happened.  Anyway, we have been spying on her since then.  She still has dogs, cats, chickens and 7 mares in her back garden.....And 4 stallions tucked away on another piece of land.  We have been in constant touch with World Horse Welfare about this, and today they came for a recce. Just as we drove past her house she was pulling out in a car.  So Jo and I tailed her, giving the guys time for a better look around, while we spent an hour in the local town watching her, of all things shop in a Horse Charity Shop.
I've always wanted to be a spy!!! Anyway when this is resolved I will name and shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment