Sunday 3 October 2021

Autumn Has Arrived, The Handy Pony Comp and Daisy The Highland

 And just like that Autumn has arrived!!! One day we were still sweltering in 24c and the next? Torrential rain arrived on 40mph winds! I think the shorts and crocs have been firmly put away for the next six months now. Of course we were moaning about the drought.  At least the fields are looking slightly less yellow.  Too late for the Bigger Ponies though, who quickly ran out of grass on The Hill Field and had to be moved onto the Winter Grazing.

Before the rain came, I had been sawing, screwing and painting for our Handy Pony Course.  My imagination may have ran away with me, and I may have bought a 2ft blow up alien and a Childs sledge!!!!  Jo and I had a practice with Charlie and Lu for the In-Hand Class.  They were both amazing, wearing Full Harness and dragging Hay nets full of clothing for the first time. Charlie was so chilled I even got on him for the first time since April. He immediately un-chilled and although the explosion of bucks never happened, he was very fidgety.






















Jo wanted to practice her Ridden Entry, so I got Daisy in to keep her company. This sweet old mare did so well and enjoyed herself so much, I have entered the Ridden Class with her as well. Whilst editing the videos, I realised how much fun Daisy can be, and decided to 'share' her with Shaneece-Who-Helps-On-Saturdays.  Not only will this give me my riding muscles back, it will also give Daisy hers back too.  I have even had her in for a short schooling session this week (before the storms came).

For those that don't know Daisy, she a a 14.2hh Highland Mare, aged about 21???? Jo will confirm her age.  Jo rescued her from a horrible life that she spent in solitary confinement, about 7 years ago.  She was shut down, angry and horribly overweight.  Although we got the weight off her, she kept developing sudden onset Laminitis, one bout we nearly lost her as her Pedal Bones rotated in all four feet.  Blood tests confirmed she had EMS. 
With the help of a brilliant Farrier, and Jo researching everything about EMS we got her sound. And have kept her sound ever since.  The anger disappeared very quickly with lots of love and being kept out in a herd and she is the sweetest most loving mare. She is pretty bombproof, but has absolutely no brakes whatsoever and can have some frilly moments, cantering on the spot and plunging. But nothing malicious at all. I am so looking forward to doing more with her when these storms blow out.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely story today, always enjoy your updates. Good to hear Daisy is going to have some adventures ahead. I look forward to hearing all about them.

    ReplyDelete