Friday 5 October 2018

Everyone Loves Lil, Minis Colic and Charlies Progress

So everyone loves Lil.  She seems to have had a great influence on the Mini herd. Dora, having no-one to bully seems to be calmer. They all seem to do their own thing, but Lil is definitely the one that moves the herd...very sweetly. So far she has taken everything in her stride, not phased by fly-spray, being caught, led about, tail-washing, or being led in a lesson. Rob who brings his daughter Nancy to ride (and has an allergy to horses and a morbid fear of Mini), is completely besotted and thinks she is the most stunning horse he has ever seen. He is ignoring his allergy and the very scary Mini, to spend time with Lil.

The best thing for Jo and I is that at long long last Polly has a best friend. Lil and Polly have been grooming each other......something we have always longed for.
















And even little Dora loves Lil...........



















Speaking of the scary Mini....Poor little thing had a bout of gassy colic the other night.  They say everything happens for a reason.  The night before, I had been at a long and crazy party, and was unable to appear until late afternoon!!! What a good thing!! Mark the Mechanic and part-time Horse Whisperer and I went over late afternoon to put the hay out.  As we drove up the drive, I could see Mini lying flat out away from the others and my colic radar went into overdrive. It pays to know your ponies, as a lot lay flat out.....but not Mini, she always lays like a dog. I left Mark delivering hay and went to check on her.....Fast breathing, rather warm and a bloaty tummy.  Plus not getting up for the hay. Yup 100% colic....although the nearby droppings suggested it wasn't an impaction.  I called Jo, who called the vet, and sat down to wait with Mini, while Mark went for Chips. Mini, very glad I was with her, gave a groan and lay her neck across my legs, while i cradled her head.  Got a telling off from the Vet for that....she had a student with her, and had to point out health and safety regarding sitting with a colicky pony on your lap!!  Anyway vet agreed it was gas colic, and 15 minutes after a shot of Buscopan and Bute, Mini was on her feet with Jo and I trying to keep her moving to 'fart it out'. 

Once Mark came back with fish and chips we all retired to the tack-room (Mini included).  The pony showed no interest in a warm bran mash with fresh mint, but picked everything up off the table, tried to eat my fish, and then set about up-ending all the supplements!!  By the time it was dark, we were satisfied it was safe to leave her. Not in the tack room obviously!!

On a serious note.....Don't mess about with colic...even just gassy colic. Call the Vet! Buscopan relaxes the gut, Bute kills the pain. If its impaction a tubing will be needed.  In my time at various yards I have seen horses die of colic. Remember they cannot be sick or burp.

So Charlie has made huge progress this year.  Having spent months on clicker training, he will stand wherever I put him, no matter where I go. We started with a cone to 'target', but now just saying 'stand' works. He's still a little unsure if I get on a mounting block, but we are working on that.  I have been working on putting my foot in the stirrup (from the ground) for the last couple of weeks.  If he moved I hopped about, only rewarding him, with a click, a treat and removing the foot, once he stood still.  Having outgrown the little saddle, I have finally got him another saddle which doesn't slip, and he will now allow me to not only put my foot in the stirrup, but pull myself up to lean over him, without batting an eyelid. Time to swing that leg over!!  This may seem like the longest time ever to break a pony, but working at snails speed is paying off. With my dodgy lungs and dicky ticker I can't afford numerous falls, or a battle. This way we have an amazing relationship, and at last he feels ready.






































No comments:

Post a Comment