Sunday 14 October 2018

Charlies Hormones!!!

We all know what happened with Dora when Charlie attacked her, but we put that down to the fact we put her in his field, and she threw herself at him.

What happened last week was way more disturbing! Jo and I brought Charlie and Lil in together to work them. While Jo introduced Lil to a bridle (no drama) and led her around the round pen, I worked with Charlie outside, fitting a new hunting breastplate and hauling myself up. Again no drama. 

Afterwards I let Charlie loose while Jo held Lil and went to get them some carrots. Again no drama. We led them back to the Hill Field, which is divided into 2 paddocks (biggies and minis).  We got through the main gate, all calm, and both stopped to shut the gate.  Charlie was on a loose rope, and started sniffing Lil. No sooner had I said "Ahh do you like Lil?", he attacked!! It was like he smelt something and saw red. He leapt forward, kicking me in the process and pulled the loose rope through my hands, landing on Lils withers with his teeth. Jo had no choice but to let go as Charlie was mad and lunged into her. 

A crazy chase followed. Lil gave as good as she got, backlashing with both hinds. What seemed like months later, but in reality was only a minute or two, we had managed to drive Charlie on, whilst catching Lil.  I went to catch Charlie, who stood like butter wouldn't melt as I yelled at him.  Next thing he was trying to nuzzle me.

Bizarre behaviour from a pony that is 99% of the time a really sweet loving gelding. What got me the most was that I was leading him.  I really thought we that sorted.....I lead, he follows.  He's a dope on a rope...... And yet clearly his hormones sometimes get the better of him, and like a terrier after a rat he goes into a red mist.

Having gone home and spent the afternoon on horse forums, I doubt he is a true rig.  My last pony, Paddy, was a true rig, having been cut in a slightly barbaric manner, on the hills of the Northumbrian fells. After he had mounted several mares, I had a blood test done, and found he still had lots of testosterone. The vet thought he probably still had a stem intact, but as he was fine to ride, I left it at that. The mares he mounted were happy, and the only times he was a shit was at shows, where I used a stallion chain.

Charlie was cut properly by a vet and has definite scars so I doubt there is anything left behind. However he was cut as a 3 year old which is apparently late!  Some stallions can be cut really late and still be gentlemen, where others it seems retain a slight stallion demeanour! He has always been 'colty', throwing the odd tantrum if he doesn't want to do anything. He has the build of a stallion now he has grown up. And so I have worked very slowly with him, building up a partnership. Which is why I was very upset that he would behave that way while i was leading him. 

So from now on we will use more caution. He is fine with Lu and Daisy, who mother, mither and keep him in place. With the little mares we will not put temptation in his way. I am also feeding him with Chasteberry which is good to calm hormones.

This week I have been playing games with him. Letting him run loose and jump, and holding my hat. I will have a blood test done next time the vet is here, but basically he will be considered hormonal and stallion like from here on in!















No comments:

Post a Comment