Wednesday 21 September 2016

Rain and RDA

Rain.....Yes we have finally had a few hours of rain. With the ground softer, we were at last able to re-fence the fields and finally moved the Shetlands onto grass.  They think they have died and gone to heaven. Sounds easy but it was no 5 minute job.  It took 3 of us including Chanice Who Helps On Saturdays over a hour.  Not to mention detangling the self-tangling electric wire. Oh and the destruction of the hose reel it winds up on.  That was me. It has a bit broken off mysteriously during the Summer and wouldn't turn. A bit of impatient 'repairs' from myself and it is now a manual winding hose reel.

With the extra grass and soft ground the lunging started.  Not sure why I bothered with Charlie as he has been full of Autumn vigor, and has been chasing Prudence the Bull Dog.  On Monday when I got him in to work him, he was already sweated up.  When I put him away and got Daisy in, he galloped around, thus the exercise was slightly unnecessary, although the bonding/work is worth it. I am currently teaching him to lift a hoof to say please for a polo. 
Daisy, feeling so much better with her shoes on and soft ground, got delusions of being a race-horse.  Much water-skiing was done on my part, while Daisy had a good old gallop, and ignored all commands to 'steady', ....or even 'trot'.

The other day I bumped into an old friend from Hollesley RDA, which I ran for many years.  She asked me if I would like to go back to teach.  Hell Yeah. That place was my world and I have missed it every day.  So today I went in to help. Its been 8 years.  Some things have changed...horses, helpers etc, but most of it was sooo familiar.  It felt like going home, and I have had a grin on my face all day.  I have agreed to go back and teach Friday mornings, and am so looking forward to my first session. 


Happy Shetlands














Charlie Lunging Tantrum

Daisy On Form






















































































No comments:

Post a Comment