Sunday 16 October 2022

Ragwort - The Struggle Is Real And Halloween Agility.

 As usual I have to mention the weather!!!  We are back to normal,  with normal rainfall and our fields are coming back nicely, which is some sort of miracle after looking like dustbowls all summer.  The mega dry spell encouraged the Ragwort and it got away from us. We spent hours with pickaxes digging the bloody stuff out of concrete hard ground. In the meantime it seeded........

Then it rained.  The baby Ragwort plants have sprung into life. Thousands of them. Like Cane Toads they multiply faster than we can clear them.  At least now the ground is soft they are easier to get out. So we have made it into a game.  We do 10 minutes a day.  As they form into family groups, or cities in our case, we pick a spot and uproot as much as we can in the time allowed.  We can do a 100 plants in 10 minutes!!! Jo generally uses a RagFork which gets the roots, but I find the bending over to pick up the plants hurts my lungs, so I just use the poo picker. This is OK on soft ground, but i have to watch I get the roots rather than cut through them.  I've noticed the roots spread out and they all join each other like buttercups. We are determined to have a better summer next year, and not put ourselves through hell uprooting tall seeding plants!










And so onto the Halloween Agility Course!!   Its been fun.  I love Halloween and have several decorations and costumes!!!!  The course is easier than last months where Charlie and i had to learn Sidepass and Send Away.  We managed a First Place in the Online Pony Class, and a 3rd Place in the Liberty Class, so not too shabby.  I thought I could get this filmed quickly. Hmmmm.  First the wind carried off my Witches Hats!!! Then Charlie took a sudden dislike to weaving through the cones!!!!  I thought he had got out of bed the wrong side, then I realised the sun was glinting off my fake blood covered plastic knife, and shining into his partially sighted eye.  Not being able to work out the source of this spooky light, he chose to hide behind Mummy!!  

Third day of filming (and me wandering about like The Grim Reaper), The Pivo went on strike.  It needed a charge.  Day 4, Charlie brought the Curtain down on his back.  To give him his due, he didn't bat an eyelash, but I don't think demolishing the course constitutes as 'Passing through the Curtain safely'. Day 5 he took a dislike to the Halloween curtain.  To be fair, it was quite straggly at this point and he'd already stood on it and wrapped it round his face.  He stopped dead, backed up, looked at me on the other side, and calmly walked around the scary corner to reach me.  The Thinking Pony, solving a problem.  I was pretty impressed!!



After all that I have given Charlie a couple of days off, and took Lulu out for a hack with my friend Viv on Daisy.  The weather was kind (warm sun) and we found another route avoiding the busy village of Snape at Child-Kicking-Out time from the local school. We had a chilled ride, with Lu only going into Arab mode once when she saw some people picking Lollo Rosso in a field (scary I know).













In other news, Charlie had a Craniosacral session with Jade Monahan the miracle Holistic Healer.  Turns out he has a lot of tight muscles to go with his non existent chest.  He was also very stubborn about letting go, and very vocal about where she could put her hands.  He backed up, barged forward, side-passed, reared! But he would not admit to any pain, and just let it out!  We got some releases, but it was a very physically and mentally tiring session for all 3 of us.  Luckily Jade is still willing to come back in a couple of weeks for another session!

https://www.facebook.com/jademonahan.esmt



No comments:

Post a Comment