Tuesday 8 February 2022

Whoa! We're Halfway There!

 Yes. We are halfway through The Top Barn Challenge. Week 6 already.....Its flying by!!  And dare I say it.....The Weather has been kind to us here on The East Coast. Plenty of icy mornings, but very little in the way of wind, rain and snow.  In fact no snow at all, but please don't tell anybody in case the Weather Gods decide to dump on us!  As our snowfall usually comes late (and hard) I have been building up the hours in case of a Rollover or Holiday Week. 

Charlie has been enjoying it. After my session with Marie we have been doing a lot of long reining and lunging (his nemesis) and he has been getting on with the job. We have also been working on standing at the mounting block and its beginning to sink in.






Planning to get on him next week.

We had a small blip last week. As we are short of grass (who isn't at this time of year?) I had been using my Pamper Time to give Charlie a little hand graze on the way from working to the Paddock (with its big container of hay).  Thursday last week I decided to take him for a walk in hand. Normally our solo walk outs go like this.  5 steps forward, freeze, wait, coax forward, 5 steps forward, freeze....you get it. It normally takes a good half hour just to get to the Barn which is about 500m away down the lane.  The Barn is owned by a nasty little shit that has threatened us a few times.  So off we went. At a spanking pace. No freezing. We got onto the lane and Charlie suddenly dived up the bank onto the cropped field. Hangry Cob on a padded leather headcollar versus weakling owner with dodgy lungs and dicky ticker!  Mmmmm.... The little shit dragged me rapidly along the bank searching for the best grass.  At one point I just couldn't keep up and he was free. I looked at the 35 acres of farmland and thought 'Bye Charlie'. I caught up as he was grazing, nearer and nearer to the Barn with its gate open to the back garden (and swimming pool). Not wanting to be shot, we had a brief wrestling match, which left me dizzy so I sat down (actually I sank to the ground gasping for air).  I then wormed my way over to Charlie, and quietly threaded the rope round his nose. With that I dragged him back to the road. I had one very cross pony!  He (not unsurprisingly) objected to the forced control I now had and we went home with him snorting, growling, leaping, plunging and rearing, boxing at me.  My 14hh pony had grown into a 15hh horse shaped kite.  I was reminded of my days at a Livery Yard, bringing in over-fed, under-worked TBs.

Having decided to let the bigger herd graze down the 'School', Jo went to take them to the grass the next morning. Yup Charlie broke free at the sight of the green drug. Jo put a foot on his rope and was faced with a rearing, boxing, hangry power-cob.  As neither of us can hold him when hes on a mission, I dug out the Monty Roberts 'Be-Nice' headcollar that Daisy once needed. Its not actually that nice, as it tightens up like a Dr Cook Bitless Bridle and puts pressure on the poll and nose.  But needs must. Neither Jo or I are young and fit enough to deal with a delinquent thuggy cob! Good yank on the rope, and the boy has been polite since.

I went back that evening after seeing to my Mum (Yes still on Nurse Ratchett duties) and went back to basic clicker training manners.  Ever since we have been on the 'Be Nice' Headcollar and have been working on manners. And Long-reining, and lunging, and moving his feet when I say, and standing quietly while I shut gates, and not pulling to snatch grass, plus Rhi's Randoms, waiting at the mounting block and any leading walking nicely and not trying to stop for a snack.

 I feel like a meanie, but at the end of the day, our partnership has to be based on mutual respect, so if Charlie takes the piss and uses his strength, I have to comeback by using MY strength. Most of my training is done using Positive Reinforcement, but if he uses my weak physical strength against me, then I have to take a different approach and remind him that I am in fact the brains of the partnership!























As I said I am planning to start mounting again next week. Come back to see if it works. I will post again in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment