Friday 19 June 2020

A Tribute To Shirley Green and Hollesley RDA

It is with a heavy heart that I write this tribute to the Legend that was Shirley Green, who very sadly left this world on Sunday. 

I first met Shirley way back in the eighties when she ran Poplar Park EC.  I did a little freelance work for her, and she absolutely terrified me!!  She had a pair of Fjords at the time that she drove. They were called Hinge and Bracket.  I'm not sure if Hinge could be ridden, but she had me schooling Bracket, or maybe he was schooling me?  She sent me out on the cross country course with him, where I knew he would stubbornly refuse every fence!  I was more scared of Shirley than Bracket!

Our paths finally joined up when I took a part time job at Hollesley RDA which was founded by Shirley while she was at Poplar. The Group had by then moved to Pettistree Hall Farm, at Sutton.  At the time I was free-lancing all over, so job shared with Debby Collins.  We were still scared of Shirley!!!  She often caught me hacking back from The Sorrell Horse in Shottisham, with my mates from Poplar Park, with no Hi-Viz.  Or riding a Poplar Horse, hatless, in  a head-collar only, whilst leading 5 or 6 others as we moved them to different grazing.

Worse than that I met her head on down a narrow lane in Hollesley one night. She was driving her little car and I was out exercising my mare, bareback, hatless, wearing a Bikini top and shorts, smoking a fag, talking on the phone, and dragging along 2 young geldings, all the reins hooked over one arm! After Shirley had skidded to a halt, she told me I would never pass my Riding and Road Safety Exams.  As well as running Hollesley RDA, Shirley also did all the Riding and Road Safety Exams for the BHS.  I was at the time, working through my BHS exams, but never managed to take my R&RS!!!

Eventually I went Full-time at the RDA and began to learn that Shirley wasn't actually scary, just ran a tight ship. That was fine by me, as we worked off the same page, and we rarely disagreed about the running of the Yard.  As the years passed, Shirley learnt that I had dedicated my life to the RDA, and trusted me with more and more, leaving all the day to day running of the Yard in my hands.  And Yet, upon hearing her car arrive, I would race round picking up a stray brush. Shirley liked a tidy yard.  And to this day, I neatly coil up lead-ropes!

I walked her greyhound twice a day, when she broke her hip, and was a frequent visitor to her house in Shottisham.... Where I sometimes found myself gardening or taking stuff to the dump. We spent many an hour in her kitchen just chatting Horse.

The only things we ever clashed over was my cavalier attitude to safety, versus Shirley's strict BHS Safety policy. Never concerning clients though ( I risk assessed everything in that respect) just my personal safety.  Shirley always worried about the sleepers I wore in my ears, telling me horror stories of accidents involving earrings, whereas I pointed out that I had worn earrings and ridden horses all my life, and was yet to have a fatal accident concerning ears and horses!

Once we had a show with Poplar Park in aid of the RDA.  Aswell as the usual classes we included Adult Gymkhana.  I borrowed a friends lithe Arab for the Show, and had great fun doing the Gymkhana games.  Of course I lowered the near-side stirrup by 4 holes for a quick mount, and so was lounging around stirrup-less awaiting the next game, when along came Shirley.  I got a telling off for having my feet out of the stirrups!!

Sometimes we would also disagree while horse shopping.  I say shopping, we were offered at least one horse a week.  But Shirley, Moya and I went to see dozens of potential loan horses.  They would check it over, then i would ride it. Many times I said, "We'll think about it" and we would have the same discussion on the way home, with Shirley proclaiming that I could sort it out, while I just said NO!  In the end, the horse shopping was mostly left to Debs and I.

I will never ever forget the trip to London with Shirley and Moya to look at a Cavalry Horse. At Shirley's insistence I traveled up on the train, wearing cream jods, long boots, a shirt, tie and navy jumper, carrying my hat and day clothes. It was just before Christmas and I was feeling rough with what I thought was a cold.
We went to the Barracks, where I tried Dave out. I was given a leg up, rode for a bit and we all agreed we would have him. ( Months later when he arrived I realised he was 18.1hh and nearly everyone was scared to use him). With no time for me to change, we hit the shops.  So we are all walking round Harrods, Shirley and Moya buying stuff left, right and center., with me still in riding gear, holding all their purchases.  Shirley asked me why I hadn't bought anything. I hadn't enough hands left to even pick something up.  I managed to persuade them into a pub for lunch.  Then it was off to a crowded Oxford Street for more shopping!
By then I was feeling really ill and very hot, so sat outside on a bench in the newly falling snow, surrounded by their purchases.  I went to the Doc the next day....It turned out I had pleurisy!

As well as all the RDA and BHS stuff, Shirley was also on the Poplar Park Horse Trials Committee. Myself and Jonjo from Poplar Park always got roped in to setting up the dressage arenas.  Shirley must have despaired at our incompetence with long pieces of string and markers!!  Never-the-less Shirley often roped me in to Dressage writing for her. Instead of just telling me what to write, she would ask my opinion, and I learnt sooo much from her!

I also have Shirley to thank for Paddy, who she had acquired for a Riding School venture.  Not being suitable she sent him down to the RDA for me to sort out. I instantly fell in love, and tried to tame the wild black pony. And then we found out he was only 4 years old. With that she gave him to me, and I took him up to The Orchard in Hollesley to live with my mare, Skittles,and Jacko who belonged to Marie Smith.  Many years later when Skittles and Jacko had gone, I took Pads back to the RDA where he managed to do a Children's Lesson once a week, as well as carry me bareback during a weekly Back-riding session. Shirley had her reservations, remembering the barely tame pony, but trusted my judgement. When Tess and I decided to ride the length of the Ridgeway to raise money for a garden area for the RDA yard, on Paddy and my Arab pony Ryscheyed, she told us we were mad.....But gave us 100% support.



















Shirley would sometimes forget to mention something.....I think on purpose as a catch out!!  One Summer she called me and told me to get round her house pronto.  I thought I was in trouble.  It was the Summer Holidays and hot. I was wearing short shorts.  When I arrived she said, "You can't go to the Prison dressed like that!!"  "Prison???", I said, "You didn't say we were going to Prison".
"Oh didn't I?" Shirley said, producing a choice between tweed trousers or jogging bottoms for me to put on.  Turned out we had a dodgy prisoner who had arranged a large amount of Cocaine to be dropped off at the RDA and the Prison Security wanted us to play along and watch him.  Scary stuff! But they caught him and he was off back to Chelmsford for the rest off his sentence.  I must just say here, that was a one-off.  We had a lot of prisoners doing their voluntary stint with us, and most of them behaved as good as gold and hopefully went on to be good boys. As I worked closely with them, I saw a lot of them realise their lives weren't quite as bad as they thought and there were many people worse off than they thought they were!

Twice a year we would have mega parties at the RDA for the clients, carers and helpers.  The end of term Summer BBQ and the Christmas Party.  Shirley and I would be off to Cash n Carry to buy serious amounts of food at Stupid O'Clock on the morning of the party.  We always organised the parties between us. The Christmas Party would be traditional, with carols and presents.  Not to mention Santa (IE Bruce from the Hollesley Bay Colony with a couple of Suffolk Punches pulling a huge bus type carriage for rides), giving out sweets.  The Summer BBQ was left more to me.  We had dance music on the CD player, with everyone up partying on the floor.  One year Shirley couldn't make Cash n Carry (possibly when her hip was broken).  I promised her it would all be ok, and scuttled off to Tesco at 6am for food.  Shirley was impressed by the small amount of money I spent!! 













My Short summer shorts were a slight bone of contention.  I never wore them when clients were around, but in the Summer Hols, didn't see it as a problem.  Shirley however thought it may "Inflame the Loins of the Prisoners". I laughed....a lot....Most of the lads were young, married and went home every other weekend.  I didn't think the sight of my middle aged thighs would inflame a damp squid!  However....... We needed a new tractor.  Ipswich Town Football Club put up most of the money, and a few other companies gave us the rest.  Cue an Open Day/New Tractor unveiling. Shirley asked me to wear my shorts!!  Something about glamour shots with the tractor and the footballers!!  I complied of course.  Shame I was incredibly hungover from seeing The Red Hot Chile Peppers with Debs the night before!!
















As time marched on Shirley became ill, the RDA had to move and everything changed.  As we left Pettistree Hall Farm, we had a party and Shirley was presented with a book of photographs put together by Catherine Jones.  I hope she enjoyed browsing through them.
Hollesley RDA has become Woodbridge RDA and is now in Clopton, with a new set of people running it, and should become bigger and better than the old Hollesley RDA, which is now just a memory of the people and ponies that came before.

As the new center opened, we were lucky enough to have Princess Anne visit once again, and Suzanne Hammond (Operations Manager) put Shirley forward for a Special Award for Services to the RDA.  Shirley nearly missed it!!  Her Taxi Driver took the scenic route.  I saw her arrive, and legged it out to bring her through to the school in a rush, where she received her award to a standing ovation.



















I last saw Shirley at The RDA Open Day last summer.  I squatted on the floor beside her for half an hour and we reminisced about days, people and horses gone by.  I am glad I had that time with her.  I am privileged to have known her so long.  Shirley Green is without doubt the Best Boss I have ever had, and as a friend I am honored to have known her.  Shirley did so much good, for so many people. What a legend.








































No comments:

Post a Comment