Wednesday 13 September 2017

A Show For SweetPea and Storm Aileen

Yes on Sunday we took the Shetlands to a show at The Suffolk Showground. The jockey was Nancy, Megs little girl.  It was her first show. Megs too. Having studied the schedule, we decided apon Thelwell, Prettiest Mare, and The Pony The Judge would most like to take home.  Our calculations were that these novelty classes wouldn't start before 2pm. How wrong we were!!  It seems the classes in the ring before had very little competitors, and they had finished by the time we got there. 
So a panic ensued as we entered Novice Horse and Rider (not really a lead rein class) and Best Rescue. No time to tell Meg any etiquette!! Still SweetPea behaved impeccably and Nancy was thrilled with a 1st and 3rd rosette. 
Mini who we took for company behaved appallingly.  Standing with Jo by the ringside, she pawed, neighed, stuck her head into the ring! The steward was enchanted, and asked if she could take photos.  At that point we said she could take her home!!  Having given up showing a long time ago, I was thrilled to find a bunch of chatty, helpful horse owners there. May even get back into it myself!

The day before was a challenge!  Meg brought Nancy over to ride SweetPea. Chanice who helps on Saturdays was also there.  I wanted to take Charlie out, so decided we would all go together, with Chanice on Daisy, who hasn't been ridden for a while, and myself on Lu (who hasn't been ridden since May due to her foot problem), ponying Charlie off her. 
SweetPea went in front. Daisy behind, me Lu and Charlie in the middle. Lu and Daisy were both like cats on hot bricks.  Chanice did very well, and Daisy settled once out on the road. Charlie was a star, keeping his head by my knee, ears pricked, enjoying himself. Lu was errrrr, Not so Good. Spooking aside, once she realised I was merely using her as a seat, she decided she would force me to pay her attention, by refusing to be ridden one handed.  She kept veering off onto verges, forcing me to use both hands to steer. Charlie then had to move closer, at which she laid her ears flat back. 
Once back, as Chanice needed help to dismount, I took off Lu and Charlies bridles, leaving them to browse the hedge.  As punishment for my lack of attention, Lu buggered off, still wearing my saddle, and tried several times to fold up to roll, with me sprinting after her yelling NO. Not the best activity with my dicky ticker and dodgy lungs!!

And Storm Aileen?  With threatened winds of 50mph, Jo and I spent yesterday fencing our winter grazing, making large paddocks so the horses could run if frightened.  We turned the Shetlands loose in the 3-Acre (we may never catch them again).  We picked up, and put away anything we thought might blow away......Except the Barn! 
The horses thought they had gone to heaven. What no strip grazing???
Today the wind died down around midday, and we went to check the chaos. Apart from a few branches down, happily all was fine. Time to strip graze tomorrow!

Sadly I have no photos of SweetPeas show, as we were in and out before you could blink, and in the panic to get to the ring I left my phone in the lorry. But here are some happy ponies in their Winter Field!


No comments:

Post a Comment